My husband and I are expecting a baby next month. More than any other question, we are asked, “are you excited!?” The obvious and easy answer is YES! But I would be lying if I said a part of me wasn’t nervous about the changes it will bring in our marriage. It has already brought some added challenges and unintentional disconnection.
Changes are a natural part of life, but does disconnection in our relationships have to be, as well?
Here are some strategies that I have found to help!
- Check in with each other frequently.
- Listen and validate each other’s feelings, even if you don’t agree with them.
- Be honest with where you are emotionally.
- Ask for what you need from each other.
- Go on adventures together and bring some fun into the relationship whenever possible!
Written by Katie Burnett